Sound by Design™
Reflective Noise Barriers
Sound by Design™ is a precast concrete reflective noise barrier system designed to mitigate noise and provide a quiet environment from nearby road traffic, rail corridor noise, or privacy from any source of disturbance. Reflective noise barriers are ideal for highway and roadway projects,perfect for municipalities, cities and residential developers with a no maintenance, cost effective method of abating noise using a product that is architecturally appealing.
- Sound by Design™ reflects noise from nearby disturbances
- Engineered panel and post system, approved by the MTO for use on Ontario’s Highways
- Systems can be integrated with traffic barriers, retaining panels and transparent panels
- Glass fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) rebar available for steel free panels
- Economical and easy to install with limited space required
- Panel lengths are adjustable to accommodate bay spacing required on your site
- Durable in any climate, offering freeze thaw resistance designed for harsh Canadian winters
- Manufactured using non-combustible means no rot, mold, decay over time
- Maintenance free
- Available in a variety of colours and patterns, we offer sound absorption with curb appeal!
- Architectural accessories available
IDEAL FOR MTO/DOT HIGHWAY PROJECTS, MUNICIPALITIES, CITIES AND RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPERS
Sound by Design™ reflective noise barriers are an excellent choice to provide a quiet environment from nearby road traffic, rail corridors, or cam be used to provide privacy from any source of disturbance. Sound by Design™ features maintenance free, modular panels that are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns to meet your architectural requirements. Our sound reflective noise barriers are approved for use by the MTO and are listed on the DSM List for use on Ontario’s provincial roads and highways.
Manufactured in our climate controlled, CSA Certified facility we adhere to a rigorous quality control and product testing program that meets the highest standards for quality and engineering in the industry ensuring a product that can stand the test of time.
Sound by Design™ noise barrier walls provide years of maintenance free performance, are expertly engineered and ready to make your next project a success. Let our experienced team help you with your next design.
For more information please contact us at 1-877-253-4577 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Transparent noise barrier panels are also available from Design Concrete which can be used as stand-alone barriers or can also be used in conjunction with precast noise barrier panels. The use of Transparent Noise Barrier panels is quickly becoming more prevalent in North American Noise Barrier Walls.
Advantages of using Transparent Panels in Noise Barrier walls include the following:
The lightweight properties of Acrylite® provides reduced dead loading for structures, ideal solution for structure mounted noise barrier walls:
- Extremely resistant to weathering and UV exposure
- Maintains scenic vistas (scenic views, commercial visibility for businesses)
- Reduces the overall visual impact of taller walls
- Reduces visual intrusiveness for drivers
- Maintenance free product
Transparent Noise Barrier Panels are available in a variety of configurations:
- Concrete Framed Transparent Panel: Reinforced Concrete Frame – (4) sided
- Steel Framed Transparent Panel: (3) or (4) sided framed panels
- Extruded Aluminum Transparent Panel: (3) or (4) sided framed panels
- Frames can be supplied coated or anodized finish
Transparent Sheet can be supplied clear colourless, coloured or even Non-Transparent (opaque with colour)
- Bird Deterrent Film available for regular sheet
- Acrylite® GSCC Fragment Retention Sheets available for all panel types (integral polyamide filaments)
Design Concrete has chosen Schoeck Canada to offer 'COM-Bar', a glass fiber reinforced polymer reinforcement bar. GFRP rebar has higher tensile strength, is resistant to corrosion and much lighter than steel.
Advantages of using GFRP rebar are as follows:
- Reduced cover requirements for slender panel designs
- Non-conductive reinforcement of panels
- Field cut panels require no end treatment to protect exposed rebar
Design Concrete offers anti-graffiti treatments for our concrete products, this treatment is applied during the manufacturing process, prior to shipment to site.
Our standard anti-graffiti solution is a sacrificial, non-toxic product which is safe for the environment. When a wall panel is tagged, the graffiti resides on the top of the surface coating. The graffiti is then removed along with the sacrificial coating. The anti-graffiti coating is then re-applied to the affected portion of the wall and ready to protect again.
Advantages of this feature is as follows:
- Non-toxic protection that will not adversely affect the environment
- Coating applied during the manufacturing process under controlled conditions
- Coating will not adversely affect the original surface
- Different packages are available for removal and maintenance
- Variety of options are available to suit specific project requirements
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the standard Sound by Design™ reflective noise barrier panel sizes?
A single Sound by Design™ reflective noise barrier panel measures 527mm high by 3590mm long and are 127mm thick. Panel lengths are based on a standard post spacing of 3630mm, centre to centre of post.
Are there different colour and/or pattern options available for the noise barrier panels?
Yes, noise barrier panels are available in a variety of standard colours and patterns to suit your project. Custom colours and colour matching is available on request. Design Concrete can incorporate customized signature panels, logos, names, patterns or textures into our noise barrier panels.
Where is the product manufactured?
Design Concrete Systems Limited is located in Seaforth, Ontario, Canada. We manufacture all of our precast products in our CSA certified facilities, adhering to a stringent quality control and inspection program, manufacturing our products to meet the highest quality standards.
Why are precast concrete products better?
"Precast" means simply, that the concrete product was manufactured in a climate controlled facility, as opposed to concrete that is cast in place on site and is exposed to the elements. This allows for better control of the quality of finished product.
"Because precast concrete products typically are produced in a controlled environment, they exhibit high quality and uniformity. Variables affecting quality typically found on a job site – temperature, humidity, material quality, craftsmanship – are nearly eliminated in a plant environment."
(NPCA – www.precast.org )
Does Design Concrete offer noise barrier product installation or is the product supply only?
Design Concrete is capable of providing solutions for both a design and supply only and design, supply and installation project scenarios. We have an established and experienced network of qualified installers, capable of installing our products on your project in a timely and expert manner. For all projects, Design Concrete will provide experienced in-house project management support for the duration of your project.
How long does it take to install a noise barrier wall?
The length of time required to install a noise barrier wall varies depending on the size of wall, scope of work to be completed and the general site conditions of the project. In general terms, with favourable site conditions, an experienced installation crew is able to install approximately 150 standard sized noise barrier panels per day, after the post have set and cured the appropriate length of time.
What area does Design Concrete service?
We currently service Canada and the USA with our diverse product offerings for both our Noise Barrier Systems and Earth Retaining Wall Systems.
Does Design Concrete keep an inventory of standard noise barrier products?
Yes, we keep an inventory of standard sized panels at our facility, allowing us to service our customers quickly and efficiently.
How are custom orders processed?
Custom orders for products are produced on a per project basis. The availability and delivery of custom orders is influenced by the complexity and volume of product associated with the order. Please contact us for more information on placing a custom order at 1-877-253-4577 or email: email@example.com
How will my order be shipped?
In general, Design Concrete will arrange all of the shipping and logistics for our customers. Our customers are welcome to arrange and use their own shipping services, if they have them readily available.
How can I get a quote?
To provide an accurate quote, we will need to discuss with you, and evaluate the requirements of your project. Please feel free to contact our sales staff for your project specific quote. We look forward to hearing from you and discussing your project requirements.
Please call 1-877-253-4577 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- ASTM C666/C666M-03(2008) – Resistance of Concrete to Rapid Freezing and Thawing
- ASTM C672/C672M-03 – Scaling Resistance of Concrete Surfaces Exposed to Deicing Chemicals
- CAN/CSA-A23.1-4/A23.204 – Concrete Materials and Methods of Concrete Construction/Methods of Test for Concrete
- CAN/CSA-A23.3-94 (R2000) – Design of Concrete Structures
- CAN/CSA-S6-06 – Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code
- CAN/CSA-Z107.9-00 (R2004) – Certification of Noise Barriers
- CSA-A23.4-05 – Precast Concrete – Materials and Construction
- Manufacturer’s Drawings – Designated MTO Acceptance
- Manufacturer’s Standards – Designated MTO Acceptance
- OBC – Ontario Building Code
- SP599F01 – NOISE BARRIER; NOISE BARRIER INCL PRECAST NOISE/TRAFFIC BARRIER; NOISE BARRIER ON STR’S; SALVAGEABLE NOISE
- BARRIER; SALVAGEABLE NOISE BARRIER INCL PRECAST NOISE/TRAFFIC BARRIER; PRECAST NOISE/TRAFFIC BARRIER – Installation
- SP 599S02 – Noise Barrier Fire Hose Access
REQUEST ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
To learn more about Design Concrete products, please feel free to call us at
1 (877) 253-4577, email us, or complete our online form.